Primeval beech forests
Shirakami Sanchi is an extensive mountain range running along the Aomori and Akita prefectural border in the northern Tohoku Region of Japan. The whole area is an Area of outstanding natural beauty, and among the area of 130,000 ha, the central core area (16,971 ha) was registered as a world natural heritage site in 1993. The heart of Shirakami sanchi is made up of the untouched beech forests, and this is one of the last natural beech forests left in East Asia.
Anmon no Taki (Anmon falls)
Permission is needed from Forest Management to enter the heart of the Shirakami sanchi. Fishing requires permission from both the Fishing Cooperative and Forest Management. Entering the core area of Akita Prefecture side is basically prohibited.
Japan web magazine’s recommend
Shirakami sanchi visitor center DATA
- Address： 61-1, Azakanda, oazatashiro, Nishimeyamura Aomori
- Access（By Bus）： 50 min. from Hirosaki station by Konan Bus bound for Kawaradaira.
- Access（By Car）： 40 min. from Hirosaki city.
- Parking： Yes
- Hours： 9:00～16:30
- Closed: ： The second Monday of each month (April to December) Every Monday and Thursday (January to March) December 29 to January 3. Next day of National holiday, the fourth Monday of August.
- Admission： Free (Movie Adult 200 Yen and Child 100 Yen)
- Phone： 0172-85-2810